ACHE Preferred Assessments
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Accreditation Standards
Element 6.8: Interprofessional Education for Collaborative Practice
Description In each year of the curriculum, the core curriculum prepares osteopathic medical students to function collaboratively on health care teams, adhering to the IPEC core competencies, by providing learning experiences in academic and clinical environments that permit interaction with students enrolled in other health professions degree programs or other health professionals.
Submission 6.8: Interprofessional Education for Collaborative Practice
- Provide a description of the COM’s delivery of its curriculum, that include the COM’s preparation of students to function collaboratively on health care teams by providing learning experiences in academic and/or clinical environments that permit interaction with students enrolled in other health professions
degree programs or other health professionals. Not to exceed 250 words.
- A curriculum map demonstrating how the content of these courses is delivered must be made available during any site visit.
Occupational Therapy Accreditation Standards
B.4.8. Interpret the evaluation data in relation to accepted terminology of the profession and explain the findings to the interprofessional team.
B.4.23. Identify occupational needs through effective communication with patients, families, communities, and members of the interprofessional team in a responsive and responsible manner that supports a team approach to the promotion of health and wellness.
B.4.25. Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of interprofessional team dynamics to perform effectively in different team roles to plan, deliver, and evaluate patient- and population- centered care as well as population health programs and policies that are safe, timely, efficient, effective, and equitable.
B.4.28. Develop and plan for discharge from occupational therapy services in collaboration with the client and members of the interprofessional team by reviewing the needs of the client, caregiver, family, and significant others; available resources; and discharge environment.
Physical Therapy Accreditation Standards
6F The didactic and clinical curriculum includes interprofessional education39; learning activities are directed toward the development of interprofessional competencies including, but not limited to, values/ethics, communication, professional roles and responsibilities, and teamwork.
The curriculum plan includes clinical education experiences48 for each student that encompass, but are not limited to:
6L3 involvement in interprofessional practice
7D7 Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including patients/clients, family members, caregivers, practitioners, interprofessional team members, consumers, payers, and policymakers.
7D28 Manage the delivery of the plan of care that is consistent with professional obligations, interprofessional collaborations, and administrative policies and procedures of the practice environment.
7D37 Assess and document safety risks of patients and the healthcare provider and design and implement strategies to improve safety in the healthcare setting as an individual and as a member of the interprofessional healthcare team.
General Faculty Resources
- Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC)
- National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education
- Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice
- IPEC Core Competencies
- 12 tips for developing inter-professional education (IPE) in healthcare
- Understanding and Facilitating Interprofessional Education
- Interprofessional Academic Health Center Leadership Development: The Case of the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Healthcare Leadership Academy
- From Triple Aim to Quadruple Aim
- The Triple Aim: Care, Health, and Cost
- IPE Overview for ACHE
- IPE Faculty Development 7.16.20
Organizations & Centers
- National Center for Practice and Interprofessional Education
- Transforming Interprofessional Groups through Educational Resources (TIGER)
- Jefferson Center for InterProfessional Education
- University of Toronto Center for Interprofessional Education
- University of Kansas Center for Interprofessional Education
- University of Washington Center for Health Sciences Interprofessional Education, Research, and Practice
- University of Kentucky. UK Center for Interprofessional Health Education
- University of Texas Houston. Center for Interprofessional Collaboration
- Virginia Commonwealth University. Center for Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Care
- National Academies of Practice (NAP)
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Interprofessional Practice
- The World Coordinating Committee for Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice – All Together Better Health
- AFRIPEN– The Sub-Saharan African Interprofessional Education Network
- AIHC– The American Interprofessional Health Collaborative (USA)
- AIPPEN– The Australasian Interprofessional Practice and Education Network (Australia and New Zealand)
- CAIPE– The (UK) Centre for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education
- CIHC– The Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative
- EIPEN– The European Interprofessional Practice and Education Network
- JAIPE– The Japan Association for Interprofessional Education
- JIPWEN– The Japan Interprofessional Working and Education Network
- NIPNET– The Nordic Interprofessional Network (Nordic countries in Europe)